Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 4 - I wish you were gone already

So today, I'm supposed to talk about a habit I wish I didn’t have....hmmm, well, if I can call a mindset a habit then, this is the one we should be talking about....dissatisfaction.

I know its kindda normal for us to have a desire for more and better things in our lives, but when it gets to a point where you can hardly even enjoy where you are, I think that’s a problem, and therein lays my struggle.
In this matter, I’d call myself a work in progress, and that’s because, I’m learning. 

I stumbled on Ann Voskamp’s blog sometime last year and it was a breath of fresh air for me. I’ve learnt practical ways to encourage thanksgiving, I’ve learnt how to consciously decide to rejoice in the things I have, I’ve learnt how to see the beauty in the imperfect situations and I’m still learning with each passing day.
Some days, I have to whisper “Lord help me remain in that place of peace, Help me stay in your rest, help me be quiet within and trusting of You” over and over again. Other days I have to confess to Him that I’m being covetous and I hate that me, I want to be a different me.

Just last week, while taking a shower, I started saying out loud “I am who God says I am, I am grateful, I live a life of thanksgiving, I am amazed at what God has brought into my live and excited for where He is taking me to, I am not covetous, I am not bogged down by other people’s journey, I would not compare myself to others because our journeys are different....and on and on I went. Once again, I felt that someone else was being blessed but not me, and I hated that I felt that way ‘cos when I wrote in my gratitude journal that day (yes, I keep one..lol), I listed a whole lot to be thankful for and it was more than being thankful for life and shelter and food, God had really been great, but just ‘cos I didn’t get this one thing that someone else got, my knickers got in a twist.

In all though, I’m learning that sometimes, even those with the best of intentions, have the silliest and sometimes nastiest of thoughts, but what is important is what we do with those thoughts. So yes, I’ve decided, regardless of what I feel, I would speak the word and the word WOULD renew and transform me because it is life. :)

10 comments:

  1. Good decision...life is beautiful and God is ever faithful to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's what we do with our thoughts that matter in the end. My pastor once preached about our thoughts, and this verse was used, Ephesians 6:16, "above all take up the shield of faith with which you can use to quench the fiery darts of the wicked one." Not all our thoughts are what we want to be thinking, and whenever negative thoughts come up we need to use the Word as our defense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gbam! :), somedays i just wish I didnt think em at all

      Delete
  3. Just caught up with the 30 day challenge, nice goings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't stop a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop it from building a nest there.
    Don't beat yourself up, you're doing the right thing by refusing to let the less than desirable thoughts take root in your heart. Keep speaking the word like you're doing and watch your life align with your confessions.

    You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true luv, Its refreshing to know we both inspire each other...talk about iron sharpening iron :)

      Delete
  5. A very good way of changing our mindset... Keep speaking it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure will @ilola...I sure will :)

    ReplyDelete