Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rituals of Sacrifice

Hosea 8:11 “Israel has built many altars to take away sin,
but these very altars became places for sinning!
12 Even though I gave them all my laws,
they act as if those laws don’t apply to them.

13 The people of Israel love their rituals of sacrifice,
but to me their sacrifices are all meaningless


The rights and wrongs of worship, exposed to us only by the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives and our constant yielding to His leading…

I rephrased this passage and put my name there, trying to search my heart to see if there had been times I had been more concerned about “my own rituals of sacrifice” rather than offer “true sacrifice at the true altar”.


Like when we enter into the place of worship with our back pack of offences committed against us, we raise our “hands and heart” and still walk away from the altar with the bag still strapped tightly around our shoulders


Or when we walk in with our heads bent low, believing that our guilt can never be taken away from us…we beat our chest and wail over how sinful we are and how unworthy and then walk away heads still bent so low we fail to see His arm of forgiveness and redemption stretched out to us, So consumed are we by we that we reject His gift, already freely given.


Could it be when we enter in, having just read of our heritage in His word and of how His divine power has given us everything…yet we leave the altar telling Him how what He was thinking of was just way too much and we’d be okay to settle for just less.


Maybe it’s when I stand before your altar yet my mind is consumed with if I’m raising my hands right or if I look clumsy moving the way I do, or if my voice sounds croaky or if…and then I’m so conscious of me that I forget its all about you


I come before the altar with me still at the center of it all….and He’s waiting, just waiting for when I’d realize that in this place it’s all about Him, there's only one way, His way, and that’s the only way that matters.


I sing out the hardest, cry out the loudest, raise hands the highest and strum out melodies the sweetest yet fail to embrace that which I have come to seek out in the first place.


“Like a child” He says, with complete dependence, waiting for instructions with eyes set solely on its Father, not trusting in its own “ideas” of how it should be, not concerned with self in the presence of its father but walking towards Him with arms stretched out to embrace.


Hosea 10:1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and I called my son out of Egypt.
2. But the more I called to him,
the farther he moved from me,
offering sacrifices to the images of Baal
and burning incense to idols.
3 I myself taught Israel how to walk,
leading him along by the hand.
But he doesn’t know or even care
that it was I who took care of him.


Teach me Holy Spirit….Teach me true worship, teach me, not just today, but everyday of my life

5 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that we have the Spirit to lead us into the heart of worship. We can see our flaws and come before the Father with out any condemnation, knowing that He will lovingly lead us in the right direction. Knowing that He see us as redeemed. beautiful! Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmmmmmmm

    inspiring...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful and inspiring...I feel like worshipping God right now with a heart full of love and appreciation for all He has done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen o..
    so very true..i really luvd this piece..
    we are not supposed to remain thesame when ever we come into his presence...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lord! This is a wonderful post and it sure ministered to me!

    Lord teach me to worship you in spirit and in truth, Amen!

    ReplyDelete