Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Gift called Marriage

Was going to add this to the last post but decided to separate them, i just love this part of TD Jakes, Woman thou art loosed

To the person you marry, you are saying,"when am old and when my time comes to leave this world, and the chilly wind of eternity blows away my birthdays, and my future stands cold and dark in the night, it's your face I want to kiss good-bye. It is your hand I want to squeeze as I slip from time into eternity. As the curtain closes on all I have attempted to do and be, I want to look into your eyes and see that I mattered. Not what I looked like. Not what I did or how much money I made. Not how talented I was. I want to look into the teary eyes of someone who loves me and see- I MATTERED!"


If you are looking for someone to be your everything, don't look around, look up! God is the only One who can be everything. By expecting perfection from the flesh, you ask more out of someone else than you are able to provide yourself. To be married is to have a partner- someone who can look up with you.

Like a suede jacket, the imperfection of your marriage adds to its uniqueness. It is mixing of good days, sad days, and all the challenges of life.

A truly good relationship is a spicy meal served on a shaky table, filled with dreams and pain and tender moments. Moments that, in those split second flashbacks, make you smile secret smiles in the middle of the day. Moments so strong they never die, yet so fragile they vanish like bubbles in a glass.

Cherish the moments...every one of them. Lift the glass and drink deeply of life. If you can look back and catch a few of those moments, or trace a smile back to a memory, you are blessed. You could have been anywhere doing anything, but instead the Maitre d' seated you at a table for two!

Woman thou art loosed
T.D. Jakes

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful.... a nice thot to also have is that, together with the person we marry, we strive for the perfection we want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly good relationship is a spicy meal served on a shaky table, filled with dreams and pain and tender moments.

    Very sensible take on things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. marriage is truly a gift, the mystic union of a man and woman becoming one,is a real wonder.

    with the last paragraph, its reminds me of hubby and moi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is one of the greatest piece ive read on marriage...... God is the only perfect one....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wondefful piece..

    "You could have been anywhere doing anything, but instead the Maitre d' seated you at a table for two"

    how cute is that..

    ReplyDelete
  6. T.D Jakes sure does have a way with words!

    I read that book long before I got married and it sparked a fire in me that's still burning till date.

    Marriage isn't the fantasy I'd often imagined it was.
    These words have been a true blessing.

    "If you are looking for someone to be your everything, don't look around, look up! God is the only One who can be everything. By expecting perfection from the flesh, you ask more out of someone else than you are able to provide yourself. To be married is to have a partner- someone who can look up with you."

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ rethots

    Most certainly true, we work towards making it what we want it to be

    @ akaBaGucci

    Yep, correcting the idea that its all sweet and rosy times ahead

    @ downtheaisle

    Its really a wonder, sometimes, the thought comes to mind when i look at hubby "this guy...forever" and it just totally amazes me

    @ Funms-the rebirth

    Same here, i just love TD Jakes and the way he writes and speaks

    @BSNC said...

    Kudos to TD Jakes girl, he rocks with the way he expounds stuff

    @ Enkay

    I never tire to read his books over and over again, there's always something new. God bless him

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looooooooove me some bishop Jakes. I used to attend his chiurch.

    its funny how i really needed to read that.. thanks!

    Just checking to see how the reading is going...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just reminded me why I enjoy that book "Woman Thou Art Loosed"...

    ReplyDelete