Friday, March 13, 2009

NAIJA FOR LIFE?

If we get talking about Nigeria, I'm one of those who'd beat their chest in pride and shout the words "Naija 4 life", yet on many days like today, stuck in the usual traffic on my way home, the final lap on my 45minitues turned 2hours drive from my office back home,adrenalin pumping, head aching, cursing (or trying desperately not to) under my breath, i find my self questioning that motto as i swing the steering right in the bid to avoid the "keke Marwa" (Tri-cycle) by the right and almost immediately swinging back left as the phantom okada (motor-bike) appears outta nowhere..blaring his horn as he spreads out his five fingers in an abusive gesture and narrowly misses my car (jeez, isn't overtaking on the right an offense anymore?).

"Naija la wa" (This is Nigeria), you should be used to it by now....that's what i keep hearing whenever i dare to voice out my frustrations, still i am yet to find that place in my heart where i can entertain thoughts of throwing in the towel, packing up and leaving.

Dare i loose hope?

God Forbid.

Why?

Do i wield my "New Naija" banner high because i believe without a trace of doubt in her ability to rise to greater heights of excellence?

Or do i scream out the mantra out of fear...afraid to accept that this is the best my country can be....Crude, undisciplined and un-exposed?

Do i hold on to my belief because the principle of life states ...according to your faith, be it unto you...or do i join the cause because, undeniably, i know its just a function of time, Nigeria WOULD get better?

Tonight the clock reads 10.43pm, i'm about to turn in before another "crazy" day begins, and i question myself...what exactly is my motive? for what reason am i on the band wagon?...quite franky, i think its a bit of all the reasons given above, but whatever the case, i still beat my chest, pray for the poosible difference my smalll daily acts can make and shout from the roof tops to all who'd hear...NAIJA FOR LIFE.

4 comments:

  1. ... i swing the steering right in the bid to avoid the "keke Marwa" (Tri-cycle) by the right and almost immediately swinging back left as the phantom okada (motor-bike) appears outta nowhere..blaring his horn as he spreads out his five fingers in an abusive gesture and narrowly misses my car

    hmm! 9ja 4 lyf!!!
    9ice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog ma ...

    Well I;m not very encouraged to move there now lol ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ LG, true dat..9ja 4 lyf indeed

    @ Miss FH, LOL, i totally feel u on that one...guess naija wud get there someday soon though

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, ooooh I love hearing about Lagos.. lol write more..

    ReplyDelete