Friday, March 13, 2009

DARN I MISSED THE RAIN

The rains would soon be upon us, everyone knows that, just about this time every year, after the stifling heat of the post harmattan season, the rains fall...
I really should get out and plant seeds but...Baba Aduke's (my neighbour) bag of grains cost more than Iya Abike's and i know i said i would pass by her place last week but its so out of my route..hmm, ok, i'd do it tomorrow, i also want to get that new harvester in town..so what if its not yet the season for harvesting and yes it might be on the high side cost wise, but its just so shiny and nice, moreover, you never know, it might be more expensive by harvest time.

Here's what i'll do...borrow some more money tomorrow so i can get both, then after harvest, i'd sell my crops and pay back my debt...
So tomorrow came, and i got the loan, bought the harvester, and was just so tired i decided to go for the grains the next day. Then one day turned to two days, to one week to one month.

Today i decide to buy the grain,and just as i step out...the winds seem highly excited today, and are those clouds gathering or is it my imagination?..thunder, drizzles....

...Darn, i missed the rain

....So Femi asked me last week if i had done my business profile and complimentary cards i'd been telling him about, i did say i'd have it done by yesterday, but you know how crazy it is, i've just not had the time.

I'm stepping out of the supermarket today and i bump into Isioma (we were together in school 10years ago).

Her company is renovating and she's in charge, has to get a consultant for her boss' approval tonight as he'd be travelling overseas first thing tomorrow, she has someone in mind but since i'm in the field, it'll be a great opportunity for me, can i send her my profile by 4pm today...its already 2.30pm, but i'd do all that i can, i'd give her a call.

....i dash back to the office, its 3.30pm ,why is there always traffic these days?, ok, i dont have so much to work with here but i'd make do...and so i start....cant time just stand still this once...4.15pm, my phone rings

"Hi dear, have you sent the mail yet?"

"Almost, just give me 15mins more"

"Emmm...you know what, i'm sure something else would come up, i'm about to go into the meeting now so i'd just go with the other guy, but next time, you'd be number one on my mind'

Ok, so maybe you think...it probably wasnt meant for me, maybe it wasnt my time yet, but qutie frankly, i'm tired of excusing lack of preparation as some kind of divine manifestation. Its about time i prepare...cos in due time the rains would fall, and i need to be ready for it..so what if i'm not fully set up..or if i dont yet have all neccessary contacts? Enough excuses...i missed it once...but what would i be if once again i cry...Darn ... i missed the rain

Ecc 11:3-4
3If the clouds are full of rain,
they empty themselves on the earth,
and if a tree falls to the south or to the north,
in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie.
4He who observes the wind will not sow,
and he who regards the clouds will not reap.

9 comments:

  1. I so feel this post. In the last six months, I've missed out on so many opportunities that I actually prayed for and I ask myself some questions

    - Can I hold God responsible in any way for those things that I still lack today considering that He brought so much opportunities my way?
    - How do I go back to ask for new opportunities when I am yet to prove myself with the opportunities that have been placed in my hands?

    I just keep reminding myself that to whom much is given, much is expected and that until I can learn to make the best use of the seemingly small opportunities that God brings my way, there'd be no greater stories. I'm kind of tired of the excuses I give - my job requires so much of my time, my family requires its own share of time, I need time to hang out with my friends - blah, blah, blah.

    So, on a new day again, I make the decision to make the best of opportunities. I can only pray that this would not be another decision that I would not be able to live by (like as so often has happened before). But then, I remember God's promises and I am encouraged knowing for sure that though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again (Proverbs 24:16). And once again, I am determined to throw excuses and procrastination out of my door while welcoming the strength to turn my opportunities into success stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nneoma, U know,i ask myself those same questions, and writting this, i want to believe, its a personal challenge to myself, not to repeat this...next time, i'd be ready for the rain(s)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jhazmyn, this your post is so spot on!!!! I have the same struggles and i am currently trying to deal with them. I have also made it a personal challenge not to miss 'the rains' that will fall in my next seasons.
    Knowing that i have a great need to kick procastination out of the door and make the best use of time, i often choose people i can be accountable to when i am about to undertake new personal projects.

    Jhazmyn thanks for stopping by at mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...deep. First time here and all I can think of are the months I have wasted trying to get certain things done when there is no obstacle in my path...

    Thanks for such an insightful post. I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just updated the newbie list...welcome. I will be back to check out your blog. ...welcome

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow sincerely mehn this word right here is for me...From now hence forth I am going to be putting my best foot forward before the rains come...just like the ant...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sad that everyone of us has experienced lost opportunity in our lives. I love this post and am learning as an inspired writer to make the best use of every opportunity that life offers to one.

    Hope you doing great. later

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post! Hmmm I feel you and everyone who has commented....

    I pray we stop procastinating and strive to excel because we need to ooo!

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ all, boy, am i glad to know I'm not the only one with the procrastination bug..lol, i do believe we'd all reach that point of self discipline though, that'll allow us grab on to those opportunities life sends our way...

    Thanks y'all for stopping by

    ReplyDelete